We strongly advice all travellers to contact their local Embassy or Consulate upon arrival in a foreign country. Registering with your Embassy may be useful and can help to provide some of the following services below:
- Locating individuals in cases of family or personal emergencies,
- Relaying important travel and safety information about the region,
- Arranging evacuation transportation in cases of natural disaster or civil unrest,
- Issuing replacement passports when originals are lost, and
- A number of other administrative services relating to personal documentation.
Many of these services involve emergency situations, and your local representative or embassy can only help you if you register with them on arrival at a country.